Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Whining About PCOS


You know how I like to whine about things not being my fault... well. I have PCOS. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. There are all kinds of annoying symptoms like skintags, insulin resistance (eventually causing diabetes), and bearded lady-ism. But the worst of all is the difficulty losing weight. This is brough on my the IR, I think. Lemme esplain:

1. Booty-do eats too much.
2. BD's body responds by pumping out insulin.
3. But... because BD's body is slightly resistant to insulin, blood sugar spikes and the body pumps out more insulin.
4. Insulin finally gets hold of the food, but because there's so much extra, it goes into over drive.
5. The extra insulin that's not attacking the food gets stored as fat in the body. (Did you know that? How is THAT fair!!)
6. The overdrive has also caused the blood sugar to drop back down really quickly, making BD think she's going to pass out and die if she doesn't eat A LOT of sugar ASAP.

Now most of the time I can make myself think, "Ok, you know what's going on in your body. Have a glucose tablet and wait it out." But other times, I eat everything in sight until I feel safe again. If you've never had low sugar, it's very hard to explain. The worst I've ever experienced was after my birthday last year. I didn't eat very much that night, but I drank a lot of liquor. Mmm... long island ice tea. I went home very drunk and cuddled my hubby into a nice sweet drunk sleep. I woke up about 2 hours later and I thought I was dying. I mean, I could barely walk, I was having a hard time breathing and I was crawling to the bathroom, thinking I was just drunk sick. But... I didn't puke. I just sat there trying to breath and moaning that I was dying. My beloved husband, having been through a sugar low of mine before found me a donut stick and a peach. It took about 10 minutes, but slowly I could feel my drunkenness returning.
I used to not eat breakfast because of the very steps above. I would eat and be so hungry only an hour or two later that I would be so annoyed. So if I don't eat in the morning, I can go all day without food. Now-- healthy people would say that's because my body is in "starvation mode" which only makes it horde the food that much more when I do eat.
Can't a bitch catch a damn break?!

No comments: