Saturday, May 30, 2009



I cried all night. I received a confirmation of my Peace Corps application on May 21 and on May 26, they sent out a rejection letter. According to their website, only 5-10% of applications are outirght rejected. They said that most people give up during the lengthy application process. Not me... I was rejected. In trying to rack my brain to think of why... I'm coming back to weight.

I know, no one likes to hear the self-deprication, but weight and height are questions on the application. Do they calculate BMI and reject you if you're a lard ass? Am I a medical liability? I have tons of volunteer experience, some carpentry, some masonry, and teaching experience, but they rejected me. Without so much as an interview nor with a recruiter even contacting me! What the fuck is wrong with me?!

And the sad thing is that you'd think this would drive my ass into gear, that I'd go get on my eliptical right now... but all I want to do is lay in bed, eat Rocky Road and cry. Cry mostly because if a VOLUNTEER organization doesn't want me... what hope have I?

1 comment:

hh said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Elise. I think the Peace Corp is missing out on so much by not having you be a part of it. Please know that NOTHING is wrong with you at all and that you have soooo much to offer!!!!!!!