Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sick-o

I am sick. I am sinus pressure-runny nose-coughing-headache-achy-fever-ears ringing sick. I've already whined about this, but I'm still sick and thought this would be a good time to talk about meds.

I do not like to take meds.

There are many reasons for this, not least of which are my conspiracy theories inspired by Kevin Trudeau. Why is it that we can create seedless watermelons but still don't have a cure for cancer? I'm with Kev-dawg when he says that the drug companies are trying to keep us sick. Case-in-point: the new doctor I went to for this current illness prescribed me some pill that ends in "-dryl". It is supposed to be a decongestant as well as an antihistamine. I have been taking it since yesterday and seen NO difference in my very painful sinus congestion. This is only the second time I can remember having such painful sinus pressure. I don't know how people with allergies survive. I digress. The point is that if I'm going to give up my principles to take a medicine, it had better fucking work! It isn't.
This brings me to Metformin. Metformin is a medication that my previous doctor prescribed for me to deal with the PCOS and weight issues. It's supposed to regulate your body in general, but what really happens is that it balances out blood sugar issues. Anyway-- a side effect is digestive discomfort. For me, this meant bathroom between every class for 2 weeks while my body got used to it then a general nauseous feeling most of the time after that. I'm sure after a while I would have gotten used to it, but I forgot to take it once, then another, then I lost the bottle. I actually lost 4 lbs the first week I was on it, so I'm guessing it does work. I hate the idea of being on a medication my whole life, but I think the PCOS might actually be hurting me more. I don't know. I'm torn.
Opinions?

No comments: