Friday, March 16, 2012

How do you love veggies?

I believe the people who say that the secret to health lies in veggies.  I know they are right but I just won't eat them.  I KNOW it has to do with the fact that I was raised with very few on the table, but I am an adult and should be able to change my eating patterns, right?  This dawned on me yesterday when I had a very low moment and got a sandwich at Wendy's.  I ordered a chicken club WITHOUT lettuce and tomato.  That's how I always order stuff.  I remove everything that isn't meat, cheese or sauce-- all of which are terrible for health, not to mention terrible for fatties!

How do you learn to love veggies?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I totally commiserate, because my favorite meal used to be, "A cheeseburger, ketchup only, please." I think this is one of those fake it til you make it situations. I ate vegetables when I didn't like them until my body got so used to the vitamins it was getting that it misses them when I go without.

In the early days, though, I was very forgiving about how I prepared my veggies. Anything to get them down. I didn't punish myself for melting butter and parmesan on my spaghetti squash. Now I'm happy to have it with olive oil and some fresh herbs. I used to have a romaine salad with candied nuts, craisins and a store-bought vinaigrette every night. It set a good habit for me, but I've been able to graduate to less sugary add-ons.

Another thing I swear by is the smoothie. I sneak so much spinach and kale into my diet under the guise of breakfast shakes. They don't really taste like milkshakes, but they don't taste bad, and you can pour in a travel mug and drink them on the go!